Saturday, March 15, 2014

Spring Bulbs

6x6
oil on gessoboard
To Bid


I've seen some great paintings of light bulbs that I absolutely love, so I thought I would attempt painting some myself.   It' was quite a challenge - lots of measuring and squinting.   

Since we recently moved and we had to get a lot of new lights - and bulbs, I've been a lot more conscious of all the different light bulbs that are available.   The type of light, the shapes, the strength...it's quite confusing actually...

And then for studio lighting it seems like a few years ago the only bulbs you could get to mimic outdoor natural light were the day light bulbs.   Today there are all the LED lights, soft, white, cool...but then a lot of them don't seem very strong at all....Can you tell I'm still trying to figure it out?   

To light this still life I used a small light I found at IKEA called Jansjo, that clips on and has a bendable neck.  It works great for getting those strong cast shadows.   Painting the LED light was also quite a challenge, trying to capture the somewhat violet part of the light in the shadow side and the pinkish color in the light that also seemed to have a light yellow highlight at the same time, not to mention the shape?!  I might have to give it another shot with a different set-up.  I like the green transparent bulb the best.  

Here's to spring!...it's coming fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! Comments are much appreciated and it means a lot to me that you took the time.