Friday, January 25, 2013

Hang Ten Stuffy! - Day 24

8x8
Oil on Hardboard

Day 24 of 
30 Paintings in 30 Days

It was quite comical this morning, me trying to talk my 3-year old into letting me bring Stuffy to the studio so I could paint him and my son being adamant that I paint Bolt instead.....after some tears and turning the car around....Sounds crazy I know:-)  He let me bring Stuffy, as long as I promised to paint Bolt and I relented, as long as Bolt was going to cooperate.
....I still have to paint Bolt cause he wasn't quite in the mood?!...

I love the shape of this dragon and the way he naturally leans towards surfing.   Painting on this surface is interesting as it stays on top and it helps if you heap on more paint to get it to stick.
Getting a photograph was a whole other challenge as it rained most of the day, so I might just take another one tomorrow.
I ended up making some adjustments on this piece simply because I realized that the biggest value contrast was down by the leg and tail of the dragon on the lower right and that wasn't exactly the focal point so I changed it so that hopefully the viewer's eye is drawn to his head more than his feet.  Let me know what you think!

Happy Painting!

2 comments:

  1. What a great story! and I love these paintings they are so happy and whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you fixed it. My eyes went to his eyes..that sounded silly... and down the leg, wing,eyes, left sided shadow, belly, tail,wing.
    Great Balance and Movement. You are a strong composer..Thanks for the reminder of how important that is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! Comments are much appreciated and it means a lot to me that you took the time.