Thursday, April 24, 2014

Plein Air Convention 2014 - Kevin Macpherson


 Disappearing Sun (Asilomar)
6x8
Oil on linen on board

This was painted on Tuesday when new painting buddies Nancy Duesing Takaichi, Kathy Carlquist and I got out a little  earlier to go to the second day's paint-out...we had sun for just a little bit and when everyone else got there...it was pretty much gone and the wind...it just kept blowing.   Bryan Mark Taylor gave me some excellent advice on having some vertical brush strokes in my waves and Bill Davidson helped all of us out!!
Just a Glimmer
8x10
Oil on Linen on board


Looking back at the PACE 2014 and starting with the key note address

It's been a week or so since I returned from the Plein Air Convention and looking back I must say that it was a whirlwind of impressions!   I learned a lot, I met some great people and I took a lot of notes on painting, tools and techniques, and of course marketing.  Wheew - it was exhausting!!   And with all the highs, the biggest challenge for me was probably dealing with the fact that I was there on my own.   I don't necessarily have a problem getting to know people, which can be a lot of fun!

It was just that by the end of the week I just ended up longing for friends (who already know me inside and out) to whom I could commiserate and complain when I was struggling; with my painting, getting tired of comparing myself to all the great talent there and just wanting to whine:-)))   Not really the recommended thing to do to a stranger, or a new friend, at an event like this I think?!

But before I loose you to my whining - Let's get back to some of the wonderful tidbits I captured in my note book from Day 1:

gave the Key note address on Monday afternoon and he started out his presentation with:
"It's a privilege, and a horror" to be here... 
and he just got funnier from there.   I love the way he can make fun of himself and he didn't skrimp on sharing some of his own challenges and of (several) phobias he conquered along the way.   I think he got us all off to a great start for the week ahead as he emphasized the importance of having confidence in your own work - knowing your own voice and mixing your life and experience into your pigments....among many other pearls of wisdom.  Here's just a few:


Show up, you never know when the great one (painting) is gonna show up.
"As you're learning, share with someone else."

"Everything that's not useful in the painting is detrimental."
Areas of Sunlight DO NOT CROSS Shadow....(still trying to figure that one out:)
added /-5/14/14 (Liz Wiltzen has a great post that addresses Kevin's point)
Make all the parts support the focus.
Don't paint things, paint abstract shapes
Contrast adds surprise
Painting consists of dynamic oppositions
Use colorful compliments
and
Don't leave out the most important ingredience:   YOU!


I found this in my notes too...
Your work is changing
=
I don't like it
(not sure whether I just added the second part? or if that's what he said - just the truth of change..)

He kept me, and many more, in stitches and I can't believe he ever had a problem with public speaking...It's comforting to know we can all get there!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anette! I ran across this blog googling Kevin macpherson and it was fun to read your blog. You are further along than I, so it's nice to know you have the same doubts! You are a wonderful painter and I'm so glad I met you (again)! Hey, let me know if you ever want a bud to whine with...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anette! I ran across this blog googling Kevin macpherson and it was fun to read your blog. You are further along than I, so it's nice to know you have the same doubts! You are a wonderful painter and I'm so glad I met you (again)! Hey, let me know if you ever want a bud to whine with...lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! Comments are much appreciated and it means a lot to me that you took the time.