Monday, May 18, 2015

Behind Flights

Behind Flights
8x8"
Oil on Gessoboard

Doesn't happen often, but this one almost painted itself.  I've been really in to capturing strong contrasts of sunlight in my subjects lately -  where the light is almost white, giving the shadow areas more color.  The reference photo for this one was taken by the Santa Paula Airport where I stumbled upon some old cars long past their driving age as I walked around and it had the perfect strong light to achieve what I wanted....I even found an artist painting in one of the warehouses there.  You never know what you will find out scouting locations.   Had an easier time with the architecture of the cars too.  What do you know?... practice might be making it a little easier:-)

Happy Painting!!

And check out this great post by my artist friend Dan LaVigne on leaving our baggage behind and trusting, in our artistic process.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! Comments are much appreciated and it means a lot to me that you took the time.