Sunday, September 22, 2013

30 in 30 - Day 21 - Swedish Sun study

6x8
Oil on Gessoboard

Snapped a picture of this view in Fjallvik Sweden this summer.  It was a late evening around 8-9PM and of course the sun was still up creating this strong almost blinding light on the water.  It reminded me of the paintings of Russion artist Bato... and I wanted to see if I could figure out how to paint it to get that effect of strong sun light.  I ended up painting the water almost white...but somehow that didn't capture the effect of the sun as well.  I felt like the strongest light needed to be on the boats and the dock...without the light on the water competing.  Painting is a lot of interpretation and problem solving.  Below is the actual photo.
I might try another version of it.    How would you paint it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! Comments are much appreciated and it means a lot to me that you took the time.