Friday, September 6, 2013

30 in 30 - Day 5 "Shamu Waiting"

6x6
oil on Gessoboard

This is a girl I saw at sea world last year.  Looked like she could have been part of a school field-trip - or she just happened to be wearing a back-pack.  I enjoyed painting her, the colors of her hat and back-pack against the rocks, and her delicate face...seeming to be on the lookout for something.  I started with my alarm set for 37 minutes...an exercise I've mentioned in an earlier post, but I went over time as I wanted to refine her face.  And I felt pretty good about the result, not too much noodling:-). 

I then went on to spend an hour and a half trying to perfect the proportions on another little girls face....which ultimately seemed like a total waste of time! Especially working on such a small scale...today's lesson learned...if you want to paint faces - paint bigger!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! Comments are much appreciated and it means a lot to me that you took the time.